Tom Yum Paste – a vegetarian variation
- 1 shallot roughly cut
- 1 spring onion white part only, roughly cut
- 4 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste without seeds
- 1 red chilli pepper fresh coarsely chopped (the quantity varies according to the degree of pungency)
- 2 lemongrass stalks white part only, coarsely cut
- 1 tsp galangal grated or ginger
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves without veins
- 1 tomato or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Mix everything together in a mortar or mixer to a paste.
This paste can be stored in the refrigerator for about 1 week.