As promised, I’m going to tell you a recipe for a wonderful rooibos-cream. It’s rich and delicate, but rather heavy thanks to the whipped cream. It is, therefore, better suited as a dessert after a light meal.
This cream will taste good made with any rooibos, so you can choose any flavour you like.
It also gives you the possibility to vary it over and over again. I personally prefer the “warmer” flavours, for example, orange or cinnamon. You can also change the aroma depending on the season. In Summer, lemon or Capetown (passion fruit) is more refreshing. Of course, you can also mix the aromas.
Here is the recipe:
- 20 g of rooibos your choice: orange, Earl Grey, etc..
- 3 dl milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1.5 tbsp. maize starch
- 150 ml whipped cream
- 2 beaten egg whites
- Bring the milk and the rooibos to the boil in a pan. When it boils, remove the pan from the heat and let it rest for 20 minutes, then sieve.
- Add sugar, egg yolk and maize starch to the rooibos milk and mix well with a whisk, then bring everything to the boil together again.
- When it boils, remove from heat immediately and let it cool down.
- In the meantime, beat the egg whites and cream separately until stiff.
- Carefully fold the egg whites and cream into the rooibos mixture.