Green Tomato Chutney
- 800 g green tomatoes possibly peeled, but not absolutely necessary
- 500 g apples
- 350 g onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 150 g raisins
- 500 g dark sugar
- 250 ml vinegar
- 2 lemons juice only
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp allspice
- ½ tbsp Cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom capsules squeezed
- 3 tbsp mustard seeds
- Pepper from the mill quantity to taste
- Cayenne powder quantity according to taste
- Cut tomatoes into large pieces, peel apples, remove seeds and cut into large pieces.
- Slowly bring tomatoes, apples, onions, garlic and salt to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes on a low heat.
- Add raisins, sugar, vinegar and lemon juice. Add the coriander, allspice, cinnamon stick and cardamom capsules into a spice bag or tea egg and also add them.
- Bring everything to the boil again and let it simmer until everything has turned into a still somewhat soft paste. (about 30 minutes)
- Remove the spices
- Complete with mustard seeds and possibly cayenne, season with pepper and fill into sterilized glasses while still hot.
It tastes great with cheese ore eggs and also goes well with a plate of cold cuts.