Granola is simply a crunchy muesli
What I like most about granola is its versatility. And when you make granola yourself, you can try a different composition every time.
Granola consists of cereal flakes, nuts and seeds, something to sweeten it, dried fruit, and some fat to make it hold together
And – for me, of course – spices are part of the mix!
My crunchy muesli is different every time because I always use what I have in the house. Oat flakes belong in it most of the time. But you can replace them with five-grain flakes.
You can also let your imagination run wild with the nuts. You can use any kind of nuts and seeds that you like.
Here is a small selection:
- Sesame seeds
For sweetening, I like to use maple syrup or jam (it’s a good way to use up leftover jam ? ).
Honey, agave syrup, or raw sugar will also work.
You can also use any dried fruit:
- etc, etc
As fat goes:
- oil (odorless or with nut flavor)
- Coconut fat
I personally prefer butter
And then there are the spices:
- Cardamom: always works great
- Ginger: gives the whole thing a certain spiciness
- Cinnamon: for a fall-winter taste
- Matcha: yes, in this case, I use it as a spice and it gives a beautiful color as a bonus
- Tonka beans/vanilla: for a warm, soft flavor
What can I do with granola?
You can mix granola with yogurt and eat it for breakfast or as a snack.
It also makes a good topping.
Also, cereal bars, are something like crunchy muesli in solid form.
You can also use granola as a cake base, for example for cheesecakes. For this, you need to mix the finished granola with something fatty again, so that it becomes stickier and can be pressed into the mold. White chocolate is very suitable for this.
Granola can be stored in a jar for 2 – 3 weeks.
Have fun trying it out!
Here is the recipe:
- 200 g cereal flakes
- 150 g nuts/seeds chop large nuts first
- 50 – 100 g dried fruit finely chopped
- About 80 – 150 g sweetener jam, maple syrup, etc
- 50 g butter melted or 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1 – 2 tsp of spices to taste
- Line baking tray with baking parchment
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Mix all ingredients well
- Spread on the baking tray
- Leave to dry in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes
- Turn the mixture halfway through the baking time
- The mixture should be golden brown but not too dark, otherwise it will turn bitter.
- Let the mixture cool completely, then crumble it with your hands and put it in a sealable jar.