What is Golden Milk?
Golden Milk is this golden yellow drink which will warm you from the inside and is quite healthy. It is particularly well known in Ayurvedic culture. Nowadays, however, it is a real “in” drink and is highly appreciated by many. Other names for Golden Milk are turmeric milk, golden latte or turmeric latte.
As the name suggests, the main ingredient is milk (or vegetable milk such as oat, rice or almond milk).
And of course, different spices belong in it. A lot of turmeric, some cinnamon and ginger and a little black pepper.
The different spices in the Golden Milk
Turmeric gives this drink its beautiful yellow colour and of course its name.
Ginger, on the other hand, gives the slightly spicy taste.
With the cinnamon, you should make sure that you take the real Ceylon cinnamon. As much as I love cassia cinnamon – it just doesn’t belong in this drink. ?
Pepper helps to better absorb the good substances contained in turmeric.
All these spices are warming, so the drink is particularly suitable for the winter months. Moreover, it is drunk warm as spices dissolve better in warm milk.
All these spices are said to have anti-inflammatory properties. The drink is also said to strengthen the immune system.
To me, it simply tastes good and its colour brings sunshine into my heart.
To make the whole thing a little easier, I put together a ready-made spice mixture. I will use 1-2 teaspoons of the ready-made mix per cup (2 dl).
If you do not have such a mixture, you can, of course, put together the individual spices yourself.
Here is the recipe:
- 2 dl milk or vegetable milk
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground Ceylon cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger or equivalent quantity of fresh ginger
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
- Or 1-2 tsp of my finished mixture
- 1 tsp honey according to taste
- Heat the milk with the spices to boiling point in a pan, mixing everything well with a whisk.
- Simmer for about 3 minutes. Then pour into a cup. Sweeten with honey according to taste.