The pink peppercorn is actually not a real pepper
but the berry of a tree from South America. There are different baies roses plants of the same family. The Peruvian pepper tree (Schinus molle) and the Brazilian pepper tree (Schinus teribinthifolia). Both belong to the same family as sumac, namely the Anacardia family (just like the cashew nuts).
In taste, however, the two spices (sumac and pink peppercorn) have nothing in common.
Where can you find Baies roses plants?
The baies roses are not only found in Central and South America, but also in the south of the USA, Australia and the Mediterranean. From my customers I know that there are also many trees in Sicily. In Switzerland, there is not the right climate for the baies rosé, but on the Brissago Islands, in Lago Maggiore/Ticino, where there is a special microclimate, there is a baies rosé tree as well.
As already said, the baies roses have nothing to do with pepper. The shape of the fruits and their taste, however, reminds me of pepper. Therefore they are often called pink peppercorns. Under no circumstances should you confuse them with red pepper, which has a distinctly different taste and really comes from the pepper plant.
Baies roses are often found in mixed pepper (pepper bouquet), where it is mainly used as a decorative element.
It is not possible to grind them alone in a pepper mill because they are very soft, hollow and brittle. But you can grind them in a mortar. However, they do not produce a powder, but rather a paste. Together with some real pepper they are easier to grind. That’s why you often find them mixed.
The smell and taste of baies roses is aromatic, fruity, sweet and reminds me of pepper and juniper
The bright red fruits are very decorative and can give a nice spot of colour to some dishes like for example cream sauces. Their taste goes very well with vegetables (such as asparagus) or fish. They also go well with meat, especially in a sauce.
Another very popular combination is baies roses with chocolate. Either in or even better on chocolate bars or in hot chocolate.
I especially like the pink fruits in dessert creams, so I will gladly give you a recipe with mascarpone and cooked fruits, which I found on the site www.essen-und-trinken.de and have already prepared several times.
Mascarpone with baies roses on fruit of your choice
- 4 portions of the fruit of your choice figs, plums, pears, apricots, etc.
- 2 tbsp honey
- 8 tbsp sweet wine or apple juice
- 1 tbsp baies roses
- 125 g mascarpone
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbsp grated lemon peel
- 100 ml cream
- Wash, dry and cut the fruit. Brush with honey and place in an ovenproof dish, add the sweet wine or apple juice.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160°C for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Mash the baies Roses with a mortar. Mix the mascarpone with icing sugar, pepper, lemon peel and half of the baies roses until a soft and smooth cream is obtained. Beat the cream and mix with the mascarpone cream.
- Pour the fruit into small bowls and drizzle with the juice remaining in the pan. Cover with the mascarpone cream and decorate with the remaining baies roses.